Friday, November 15, 2013

It's a Good Problem to Have

I have been silent about my weight loss program because I needed to prove to myself I could do it. Frankly, I didn’t want to feel “accountable”. It started as a health issue: my body mass was only 1.3 over what was normal and given my high cholesterol, and because I asked him about weight, the doctor suggested if I wanted to lose 5 to 10 pounds, it might be good. So I went to Weight Watchers on line and signed up. 

At some point the losing went from health to vanity as my jeans and capris started needing belts to be comfortable and finally to keep them up. Then the other day as I celebrated Much Better cholesterol numbers with my doctor, it went back to health again. Twenty pounds down with only a couple more to go for a nice round number before going on maintenance. 

So what’s the “good” problem? 

  1. Twenty pounds less fat to keep me warm this winter. I have been So cold as the temperature has begun to drop. Thank goodness for fleece! 
  2. The delightful need for new clothes. So far I am getting by on too big jeans by tightening my belt and wearing the one pair in the new size for “dressier” occasions. Really nice dressy slacks - worn out to dinner and to Tahoe holiday parties - had to be replaced for this season to be comfortable and look good. 
  3. Age: at my age maintenance is going to require the continued help of Weight Watchers, gym 5 days a week, and being almost as disciplined as I have been in the losing process. After all ~ although there is vanity involved, this started as a health issue and will now continue to be one. Keep those cholesterol numbers in line! 


All in all ~ good problems to have! 

No comments: