Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve, 2015

Christmas Eve Reflections ~ neither particularly spiritual or religious and yet, maybe by approaching this day a little obliquely, I just might come close to the real meaning of this celebration. 

This is the view out my window this morning ~ 

~ and once in a while the wind blows causing a white out even deeper than this. In the midst of this I have much for which to be thankful, starting with storm itself which is bringing desperately needed moisture to a draught ridden land.

I have new boots. My wonderful boots which have gotten me through the last 5 or 6 winters refused to make an appearance this year. They just weren't there. We opened every winter box, took out all the gloves and scarves and hats and coats and Dean's boots and my Uggs. No boots. I have no idea. And as you can tell from the pictures, we live in boot country. Now I can slip into these to take Oso out in the snow or go to the store or even dress up to go out for the evening. I am grateful for new boots.

Grandson Kyle working in his "Studio under the Stars" located just outside Dean's workshop. It is such fun to be around and see his creativity in process. He represents the whole rest of the family so we have family with us this Christmas and for that I am grateful. 

Biscuits for breakfast ~ thought of and baked by Dean. 
Real Southern buttermilk biscuits to which we added fresh squeezed orange juice, grits, bacon and eggs. How grateful for a well-stocked larder and good food shared in love. 

Every morning from early fall until late spring Dean lights a fire. This morning it is especially appreciated as the storm continues to pour snow on us and the temperature gets colder and colder.

And so here I am, being grateful for home and hearth and family both here and on text and email. Tonight I will read a favorite Christmas story via Skype to grands in Ashland, Oregon. And I will begin work on our Epiphany letter, remembering each and every one of you who have blessed our lives this year and being grateful for life itself. Whatever you celebrate, blessings on this special night.

No comments: