Wednesday, November 17, 2010

To Take or Not To Take

Drugs. Meds. *sigh*

Drugs as medicine were designed to be good for you. Helped control pain, nausea, infection, whatever. Then came misuse, overdosing, addiction. Then came frightening and scary. And Now, on a very personal level comes, well, how much is too much? How much is just enough?

If I'm edgy and have tolerable pain but can't sleep, does that qualify as a time to take another pill?

I think I have it figured out. The other night I looked at the prescription and counted the number of pills I still had. The prescription was for one or two every four hours as needed. I was taking one every 10 to 12 hours. I decided I would be ok, not become addicted, and took another pill. :)

If the edginess comes in the middle of the day, I can usually walk it off, eat protein, breathe deeply and in general take care of it naturally. And there was still that little conversation from all the communal history: does this mean I am having withdrawal symptoms? How do I know?

When I had problems (light-headedness) with morphine in the hospital, Meredith said, "Well, mom - your biggest drug intake has been two tablespoons of Bailey's on your ice cream twice a year. They gave you Morphine! No wonder you had issues!" :D The doctor took me off the morphine as soon as he heard and I have been fine ever since. Except I still worry - and I am on my own here. No nurse checking on me every couple of hours just to be sure - or encouraging me - or answering my questions. Just me - having read the issues, having seen the tv documentaries, having heard the horror stories - and not wanting to be caught up in any of it. And also not wanting to hurt any more than I have to until I am healed and well.

I guess the answer is right there on the pill bottle: take one As Needed. Maybe life doesn't have to be so complicated after all. ~ with blessings

No comments: