Thursday, November 18, 2010

Little Things that Count

I wrote the other day that although I could do certain things for myself, like make a cup of tea, Dean had to bring me the tea cup. Wafting through the brain came a sentence I had read in my workbook: wear an apron with large pockets. Aaha! I have an apron with three large pockets across the front -- it's even Purple. Now I wear it all the time.

One pocket usually carries the cell phone. Another the water bottle of ice water. The other - a book, a hot bottle of hot tea or soup for lunch, even my purse when I go out to physical therapy.

If you Ever have to be on crutches for any length of time, Wear an Apron with Large Pockets. If you have a thing about aprons, wear a tool belt. Get Something around your hips that allows you the independence of carrying your own drinks, food, phone, whatever. Someone else can bring you the plate of spaghetti and large pockets are a cosmic gift.

I also wrote about the Reach Bar. That has become invaluable and I have it with me All the Time. It is slender and I can tuck it in my hand that is around the crutch. If I happen to leave it behind, something will fall -- a crutch even that hasn't fallen from there ever, down it goes when I don't have my bar to pick it up. So - the bar comes along. I dress myself. I reach things here and there. Even a jar of soup from the lower shelf of the fridge yesterday.

Physical independence is a blessing and a gift and I am learning Huge compassion for those who do not have it. Little things count and make a world of difference ~ with blessings

No comments: