Saturday, November 13, 2010

Journal of the Journey

Wednesday 11/10 ~ Went to the hospital, was welcomed well and then waited for a while. I was called in, prepped and Dean came in. I had a paper gown that hooked up to a hot air blower - ohhh Nice!! The blankets were also heated. Very nice indeed.

Doctor came in and I requested that everything they say be positive and he absolutely agreed, sharing with me a story of when he was in training. He took care of a wounded man for 4 months while the man was in a coma. He talked to the man day after day. When he met him and his wife 4 years later in an airport, the wife introduced them and asked if the husband remembered the doctor. "No," he said, "and his voice certainly sounds familiar." :D So that made a believer of him.

The anesthesiologist asked how I was handling the drug - I haven't been given any drug - oh, yes, he says, "for the last 4 minutes I have been giving you something through your iv." :D That was the last thing I remember until I woke being told to breathe. Unfortunately I woke crying because my hip hurt and they didn't like that. Things eased up almost immediately and I got lots of attention. Michelle arrived. Dean left. I slept well.

Thursday 11/11 - I had a morphine drip in my iv and could give myself a click when the pain was creeping up. That was nice -- until I tried to do Physical Therapy Thursday morning. Got up, two steps, oops, need to sit down. Sat down, breathed, drank water. Got up, three steps, oops, need to sit down. Well rats. No PT on Thursday so I was frustrated and trying Very hard to turn that in to fascination. Wasn't really succeeding. The the dr arrived and I told him. Let's get you off of morphine he said, and off I was. At midnight I received a Percocet. Slept well, didn't hurt and on

Friday 11/12 - I walked with both walker and crutches and No Fainting. Dr. took all the tubes out this morning so I was much freer. Some time in time during these days I discovered that Walking is the Modern Medical Miracle. I was feeling lousy, feverish and just plain yucky -- and I had to go to the bathroom. By the time the CNA had me in the bathroom I was feeling better. When done, I asked if she had time to walk a little. She did. We did. By the time I had walked down the hall, around the corner, back passed the room and back to bed, I felt Great!!! I left an order to be walked twice again last evening before 10 pm and bed time. Amazing!! Much better than any drug!!! Good night's sleep.

Saturday 11/13 - up and dressed before breakfast this morning. Had more PT. Worked on stairs and learned a lot. Dean arrived about noon, had his own class with the PT and now knows how to help me for the next little while. We were going to drive straight home -- and we decided to fill my prescription in NV and to stop at Home Depot and pick up some pavers to raise a couple of chairs and a shower connection for the shower. Oh - and for Dean to get something to eat - he hadn't had anything since breakfast. So it was a bit longer coming home than I had planned.

So - I am at home. Dean has set me a "high" chair in the living room with my computer where I can visit with folks that I have been told are going to be dropping by. That's the adventure. Oh, here's a little aside showing how amazing this is. My right hip was also very arthritic. So - when the surgeon took bone out to put in the handle on the prosthetic, he took my own bone, cut it to fit the arthritic holes, put it in. sanded it down and put on a metal plate to hold it all in place while the blood vessels grow back from my bone to my bone. :D :D :D Incredible? Right?

So, there we are. Quite a journey - glad this part of it is over. Time to start the physical therapy healing. Walking on crutches is the first step. Lots of new steps these days if you will pardon the pun. ~ with blessings

3 comments:

MikeC said...

To healing!

Grandma Carol said...

Bravo! I'm so happy for you.

Tahoe Mom said...

Thank you both -- your support is really, really appreciated!!