Monday, November 15, 2010

"On My Own"

You will discover the reason for the quotes when I tell you that no matter what all the literature, books and friends who have had this surgery say -- the first few days at home, you are Not on your own.

First there are The Rules! Posterior surgery means don't turn your toes in, don't cross your legs and Do Not under any condition Break the 90 Degree Angle. That's the biggie, folks. Keeping legs apart is no biggie once I learned to keep a pillow between them at night. Keeping toes turned out - first position - means pivoting to the left (for me) even when turning right is easier. That 90 degree angle is a bummer. Sitting up right is fine. Standing without leaning forward means squooshing down in your chair, reaching out with your injured leg, then sitting up again and standing so the injured leg stays forward. phew! I have to think it through Every Time.

Second there is Life. If I walk "on my own" I walk with a walker (not often) or with crutches (most of the time). I can carry Nothing Else but me on the crutches. I can stand in the kitchen, remembering to turn to the left, and make a cup of tea. Dean has to bring it to the table. I can get out of bed, put on the kaftan I am living in these days and walk into the living room. Dean has to bring along my reach bar, water, book, cell phone. And even if I can carry something, I have to remember to pick it up Before I stand because I can't bend to get it.

I know it sounds like I am complaining a lot and really I am not. These are the facts as I am faced with them today. I am So Grateful for Dean who will take a little list in his head and follow through to get me settled. I think my friends who said, "I walked out of the hospital with no pain and went on about life" steered me just a little crooked. And maybe they did. I am just having a bit more of a time with it.

Showering is a two person job -- not a sexy, sensual, aren't we having fun job. A very serious, how should we do this and not crash into the floor job. Michelle helped me through the first one yesterday afternoon. Now at least I know what I'm doing. Every step is a new learning. And I am So Glad I am Not 'on my own' -- if anything proves how often we need each other, it is a time like this. Give thanks for those who help you with the little things whenever ~ with blessings

No comments: