Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How Many Degrees of Separation?

Grandson's girl friend is working in a orphanage in Cambodia. I have been following her blog and enjoying the pictures of the happy children who have found love and family in this place. We have been emailing about Thanksgiving and what it would be like for her to be so far away during this American holiday. She was looking forward to attending the Water Festival and celebrating with her new friends. And then came the headlines:

345 People Killed in Cambodian Stampede

First I give thanks for modern technology. I read the headline. I email: Are you alright? Are your children alright? Back within the hour is the good news that yes, she is fine and as far as she knows no one she knows has been injured or killed. And they are all "reeling" - of course.

And then I think about Thursday. In this country an amazing day of celebration, giving thanks for all our blessings, being aware of those, eating, gathering with friends and family. In Cambodia, it has become a national day of mourning. A recognition that a festival of celebration and prayers for a good rice harvest has turned deadly and the whole country is reeling from the tragedy.

Yes, I know someone there. I can email and find out news. I don't know anyone in Indonesia or South Korea or other places in the headlines where tragedy and violence of many kinds abound. I can however remember those places in my prayers on Thursday. I can be grateful for my life, my family and friends and at the same time pray with compassion and caring for those in the world who are only an email away.

There are no longer any degrees of separation if we really care and are aware. ~ blessings

No comments: