Sunday, November 1, 2009

Another Saint

My Aunt Lalah. She taught me, gave me, the gift of hospitality. Didn't matter who you were, if you arrived at Aunt Lalah's door, you had a meal, a place to stay, a warm welcome. There was always room for one or three or 10 more at Aunt Lalah's table. I've been to dinners in her home when there were tables set in every room. We were a big family ~ and all of those might not have been related by blood or marriage.

When I was a little girl and we would visit, Aunt Lalah would have me to lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches and apple sauce because a child could only take so many vegetables (the fare at her sister's house). She was the family my father took my (soon to be) step mother to meet even though she was my mother's sister.

If you were in her presence, you knew you were loved. Oh, you didn't get by with anything as a kid, and she always had a way of letting you know you were ok anyway. She was a saint of a family and of the family kitchen ~ and she loved us all and blessed us with her caring and loving presence. Thanks, Aunt Lalah. ~ with blessings

No comments: