Monday, November 9, 2009

40 Years of Sesame Street


Hard to believe Sesame Street is 40 years old. Except that the three year old who sat in my lap and watched the very first show is now 43 and the mother of three of my grand- children.

Back then Sesame Street had a profound impact on children's education. After a week of watching (in black and white), and listening to my 3 year old sing her alphabet and talk about numbers, I commented to my husband, "Kindergarten teachers need to watch out. Kids watching this show are going to show up already knowing what those teachers have been teaching all these years." I was right. Not only about my own child but about an entire generation (at least).

Sesame Street was cutting edge and we parents as well as our kids loved it. We sang all the songs, referenced the characters in our conversations as if they lived on our block, and continued the work/play with our kids long into the day after the show itself was over.

Happy Birthday, Sesame Street! You have helped our children and grandchildren grow and learn and know the world just a little bit better. ~ with blessings and fond memories

No comments: