Monday, November 16, 2009

Preparing for Winter


Dean has split and stacked about 80% of the wood we will need for winter. He plans on spending his exercise time today and tomorrow finishing up the last 20% (these are his estimates). I have spent some time this morning clearing the deck of all but a couple of heavy umbrellas. We are lucky. We have wide overhanging eaves that allow the grill and a table and chairs to stay out of the snow and be available for winter cooking and extra additions to the house when holiday dinners grow beyond the dining table.

All of these preparations anticipate the change of seasons. The weather is still gorgeous late fall and the temperature is not rising too high during the day. Icy patches and some snow still lingered on the deck where sun had not reached. Clothes have been changed over ~ winter to the bedroom closet, summer back downstairs. We have started to layer our clothes because the mornings and evenings are cold and mid-day warms up. The cooking part of my brain is thinking Soup. This year I actually froze vegetables from the Farmers' Market for use in soups and I wonder if it is time to make that soup yet or should I wait just a little longer to make sure I have enough to last. Sun on the back of my neck as I sit here typing warms me while I make sure the doors and windows are closed against the Very Brisk breeze.

Changes are here - nothing definite yet - fall - back and forth - even earth reaches back to summer while urging us on to winter. She hasn't quite made up her mind ~ and if experience is any teacher, she will opt for winter while spring waits patiently underground. ~ with blessings


No comments: