Friday, May 24, 2013

You Make Me Feel So Young . . .


On the way to lunch I heard a report on NPR titled “Seniors and Technology”. I feel So Young when I hear that kind of report. Statistics say that under 50% of people 65 or older are not on the internet or take advantage of newer technology. That is incredible. I feel like at 70 I am on the leading edge of a generation which, even if we didn’t grow up with it, had early enough access to it to be conversant. 

Dean calls me the cyber grandma. I know I don’t use my computer up to its amazing capacity and 
~ I am on Facebook to keep up with grands and friends around the world
~ I chat on Skype with friends in Virginia and Wales almost every day
~ my smart phone syncs with my computer in the Cloud
~ I make photo albums on my computer
~ I email and learned to do that even before one of my daughters who quickly caught up and surpassed me
~ I blog and read friends’ blogs
~ using either Skype or FaceTime, I video chat with grandchildren 
~ I know whom to call to have my questions answered
~ I shop on line
~ etc, etc, and etc. 

Why, oh why, isn’t my generation at least this knowledgable of cyberspace? I don’t have to know How it works - only that it does. There may be things I should be learning so that my grands won’t wonder when I am in my 80s or 90s why Mama Susan can’t do thus and so. Maybe so. And ~ 90s are very different than 60s. I do like anything that makes me feel so young! 


4 comments:

Phil Miller said...

I don't mind saying I use technology just to get by, but the bar gradually goes up higher all the time on what that means.

Phil Miller said...

I use tech to get by but getting by requires new learning year after year.

Tahoe Mom said...

Phil - your comments are here. And I do understand the learning curve - phew!

MikeC said...

I'm a decade younger than you, and have never used Skype. Though I do meet with my spiritual director via Facetime since the campus where I worked closed and I started working exclusively from home. But I have nothing on you when it comes to technology. (My dad, who is 80+, is limited to email, and my brother, 5 years younger than me, rarely checks his personal email, and shuns FB and texting.)