Monday, May 6, 2013

He What???

As a follow up to the last post ~ we saw our own doctor today and Dean has a couple of fractured bones in his back. His response:

Good news is that I am going to live and in a few weeks be back to normal. Bad news is I have a broken back. Sounds bad and it is certainly a challenge. Two of the small bones that come off the 4th & 5th vertebrae are broken one a bit more than the other. 

The main vertebrae is fine and straight. That's a good thing. My back will be very tender for a while. The only thing they do is give you pain meds and tell you to take it easy. Some physical therapy in a few weeks. Basically it "tough it out". 

Might be a good time to stock up on good bourbon. 

I am quite sure my eyes looked like the deer in the headlights when the doctor said, "He broke his back." I wasn't sure if he were joking or not. Given the nature of the fractures, it was a little bit in between. So - 4 to 6 weeks of taking it very easy. Some physical therapy after a while. No heavy lifting and moving slowly ~ which is all the moving he can do anyway. 

We continue to be grateful for what it is given what it might have been. 

No comments: