Friday, February 22, 2013

On Being Human


The human heart is an amazing creation. In it we can hold pain and laughter, tears and joy, all at the same time. This morning I went on FB and read that my dear friend’s partner had died. This was not totally unexpected because she had been sick for a long time. Nonetheless, it was painful and I remember that pain and I hurt deeply for my friend. I commented on her two comments, holding her close to my heart ~ and I will continue to do so for a long time to come. 

And then I scrolled down my FB page. 

The very next post was from my college-aged grandson who is a fencer and had (quite accidentally) discovered a fencing club in his college town, attended a meeting and even after a year without a rapier in his hand, in his words, “kicked some ass.” He also tried a sword he had never handled before. He felt Good ~ and his energy and enjoyment poured off the page and I found myself grinning, a great huge smile spread across my face almost to the point of laughter. 

All within seconds of each other, two entirely different emotions, both held closely and deeply in the human heart. I think this is one of the great mysteries of creation and I am truly grateful for it. 

No comments: