Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beyond the Pale


Pale vs. Pale. We all know people with pale skin. Usually blond or very fair haired with pale, clear skin. Sometimes a very dark-haired person will have clear, pale skin. Older women occasionally have a soft, almost powder white skin even if it is wrinkled. Pale skin can be beautiful. 

So this morning I am looking in the mirror, buttoning my blouse, and I notice my complexion and I am pale. Not the lovely pale of youth and blondness. Not the pale of age and powder. I am a sickly pale. No color. Bland. Now I know Why: I have been sick. I have been fighting a virus for almost a week. Finally at the end of the struggle, I have bathed, dressed and am planning on staying out of the bed all day. And I look like a ghost. 

So - I put on make-up. Brushed on a little powder. Filled in my eyebrows. Put on lipstick that comes close to the color of my sweater. Better. At least not scary. The face that I present to the world, even if the world consists of Oso and Dean, looks a little less pale, a little healthier, a little more energetic. *sigh* Now I need to sit down. 

No comments: