Sunday, February 10, 2013

In Praise of Sneakers


We attended a wedding in Sacramento this weekend. Looking at the map of Sacramento and the location of hotel to church to reception, we decided to walk. The three were a triangle around the capital park. Parking was at a premium. Cabs were in short supply. So the decision to walk was made. Now men can get by in comfy shoes that look ok with their suits. Even my low heel but dressy patent leathers were not made for walking far ~ especially on cement when I am used to the give of good ground. I needed to bring along my sneakers. And a lovely little bag to hold whichever shoes were not on my feet. I wasn’t fond of the idea, but I did it. And I am So Grateful!! First of all, on the walk to the church, I knew if I had been in my dress shoes, I would have been miserable. Instead I was happy, enjoyed the walk, and stopped in the park across the street from the church and changed. No one noticed. 

When I sat down, the woman in the pew behind me spoke to me and commented on my dress. I thanked her and laughing, held up the corner of my bag to show her my sneakers and said, “and don’t these go well with it.” She laughed and pulled out her flats from her bag. We both laughed that at least hers had sparkles on the toes. And - I knew I was not alone. 

Shoe change took place in a secluded nook at the church and in front of the reception hall with no one but me the wiser. At the reception, most high heels ~ and they are Very high this season ~ were kicked under chairs to make dancing more fun and easier. My dress shoes were appropriate for the wedding and reception and I was certainly glad to have my sneakers for the comfort of walking in between. It was a fun night. 


No comments: