Wednesday, February 13, 2013

For Want of a Director

I have been in some form of theatre for my entire life, although now I consider myself retired. I have acted, directed and finally settled in as a Stage Manager. Some of my acting has been doing monologues in church or other groups. I seem to do ok with those. Today, however, a made a video and had to direct myself. I really, really needed another director.

I needed someone to watch, to notice, to catch. Once I thought I had the spot done, and when watching it, I realized I had said one wrong word, but a very important word, so time to do it again. Of course, the spot is only 90 seconds or less, but a lot can happen in 90 seconds. And when I finally came to the end of the one I thought would work, I realized I would love to have had a director brush through my bangs once before that taping.

I remember a long time ago having a director come on stage and ask me if I realized how often I licked my lips. No. I became aware though and stopped that little habit. Today, I realized how often I blink my eyes ~ not sure how successful I was with stopping that. As I write I am telling myself, I probably should have done it again. Oh well. For someone else, I would have. Dean even said, "I'll go up stairs and take a nap and you can do this all afternoon if you want." And I was tired. I needed him in the office. Who I really needed was a director.

Dean has edited and is sending the video clip to the people who requested it. His technical expertise has been wonderful. Who I also needed was a director.

No comments: