Saturday, February 23, 2013

Movie Reviews


While hanging out recovering, I watched two very special rather cerebral movies that I would like to recommend. I had never heard of either of them, one an Independent Film and one from Canada. Neither had a  “known” name in the cast. Both were gently brilliant in their own way. 

“Obselidia” I chose because it was set mainly in Death Valley where we love to camp and will go in about 6 weeks. It is about two young people with very different views of life and love who confront one another about these subjects while on a bit of a symbolic as well as real journey. 

“Strangers in Good Company” I chose because it was about a group of women of my age and older who find themselves stranded for a couple of days and using their wits and wisdom do ok and share much about life with each other. Although there was a script writer listed, I have a feeling much of the dialogue was filmed as the women talked among themselves. Introspective dialogue was followed by old pictures of the women in their youth ~ actual pictures of these particular women. 

Both of these movies move slowly in terms of plot and action. No thrills or car chases or anything the least bit scary or tension filled. In terms of thought and philosophy and life-learnings, both are filled to the brim with richness and hope, energy and Life. If you like ideas and discussion, pondering and wondering, I highly recommend either one of these for a lovely slow evening before the fire with some cocoa and conversation time following. Enjoy. 

No comments: