Friday, February 1, 2013

Just a Little Irritation


== I don’t like being threatened or manipulated and that is Exactly what I feel like when I get this kind of email or FB post:
~ only 3% of you will repost this and if you don’t, you don’t care about people who are battling cancer
~ pass this on or repost and an angel will grant all your wishes - but only if you repost in the next 19 minutes
~ Any post that suggests I Don’t Care if I don’t repost or like or in some way respond to whatever the suggestion is

So, my friends ~ I don’t repost or forward or usually in any way acknowledge the viewing or receipt of such a post. My mother died of cancer when I was 16. Don’t tell me I don’t care. God and the angels and I are just fine in our relationship and I don’t need to manipulate them to grant my wishes or prayers. If the quote or saying is something I really like I will sometimes use just it without the manipulative instructions. And occasionally I will repost a wonderful quote like the one from Maya Angelo I shared the other day. 

Having reread this, I realize I sound a little defensive and almost angry. Hmmm - I guess that’s because I am. I wish whoever writes these things - and they are written by someone else and passed on by my friends - would just state the fact and be done. How about: Cancer is a deadly disease and many people are struggling with it. Many have lost loved ones to it. Please, add your prayers of healing to theirs. 

Amen. 

2 comments:

MikeC said...

You have articulated very clearly what I have been thinking for a long time. The best thing we can do is to not like/share/repost messages with the manipulative language. Thank you for that.

Tahoe Mom said...

Mike, I hope you read the comments on FB - especially the one about bullying. She is So right! So as my other friend said, delete, delete, delete.