Friday, October 1, 2010

It Rained Like Hail

If you are old enough to remember Lil Abner, you will remember the character that went around with a rain cloud over his head. It rained all the time - and just on him. (Anybody help me with his name?)

Today our house was like that - except this was Wonderful. Suddenly it was raining, Huge, thudding drops. From where? Out the front windows was blue sky. From the west a ray of sun right in my face as I sat at the computer. And still, there it was: rain, rain, harder and harder until there was Hail. Both peppering down, making enough noise that we had to shout across the room to each other.

Slowly the air turned cooler and cooler. I walked out the back door to stand under the deck eaves until thunder and lightning struck at the Exact Same Time. Sent me scurrying back inside even though I didn't close the door. Did affirm that the storm was Right Over the House. I called downstairs to Dean, "Come up and share this with me." For the longest time he didn't come and when he finally did, he admitted he thought I was popping corn and didn't really understand why he should come up when I would bring him a bowl.

I think the thunder clap got his attention though and up he came. We wandered from window to window checking out the blue sky and fluffy white clouds in front, the stream of sunshine across the neighbor's back yard and watching our roof and our deck as well as the neighbor's side yard turn white with 1/4 inch hail stones.

Dean had on shorts. He put on sweats. I closed the deck door. The temperature dropped and is still dropping as I write. Slowly now the noise recedes. The silence has its own "sound" when it has been missing for so long. The drumming of rain and hail is gone. The gentle drops have moved outside instead of surrounding the inside space with powerful sound. The blue sky and white clouds still hang over the front. The western sky is bright with a setting sun. The few houses on the block and the land up the back hill are covered with a rapidly fading grey as the blue sky comes through again. The white blanket of hail is gone as quickly as it came - except in the cushions of deck chairs where it may take just a little longer to melt.

What an amazing hour (or less). Pictures wouldn't work. Neither do these words really. You had to have Heard it ~ and heard the silence that is now settling in and around the house again. Peace ~ with blessings

2 comments:

Grandma Carol said...

"Joe Btfsplk: World's most loving friend and worst jinx who always travels with a dark cloud over his head."

Storms are wonderful when you are safe inside!

Tahoe Mom said...

Thank you, Carol! Yes, this storm was not a jinx, just a wonderful mountain enigma ~ we couldn't even be sure it was raining in town less than 2 miles away. And yes, I did not want to be out on the deck or in my car or anywhere except under my roof in the midst of sound and fury.