Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Aunt Lalah's Topping for Fruit

Yes, there really was an Aunt Lalah in my life ~ and yes, I am going to make her topping for fruit for a pot luck tonight. My fruit this time: peaches - fresh from the Farmers' Market.

I had to look for the recipe ~ and I didn't have to look far. There it was where it has always been, in an envelope that is torn and held together with a rubber band and labeled "up to date recipes". Hah! Also on that large brown envelope is a hand-written "address": Susan Mix, Director of Oklahoma. I directed Oklahoma in the early 70s at Fredonia High School in Fredonia, New York.

This envelope brought thank you notes from a third grade class perhaps who practiced both etiquette and writing by thanking the cast for the fun show. Somewhere along the line, I put the letters in a scrap book and used the envelope for some newer "up to date" recipes and so it stayed for all these years. And one of those recipes is Aunt Lalah's topping for fruit.

The dessert is going to a pot luck where we will be talking about the future. And the past will meet us, comfort us, and continue to push us forward with warmth in our hearts and in our stomachs for both what has been and what is still to come ~ with blessings

No comments: