Sunday, October 3, 2010

Forty-one years ago today

Happy Birthday, second Daughter!

Three back twinges and a baby - 19 inch baby, 19 inch snow storm. But let me start a little earlier. I woke that morning saying that I would have back labor again - in two weeks or more. I dressed in a sleeveless jumper -- later as it got colder, I put a long sleeve shirt under it. When I was taken to the hospital shortly after noon, I was wrapped in a heavy wool poncho and snow was falling.

First we went to the doctor's - although I had a 2:30 appointment, Rex insisted we Go. The doctor didn't believe such a light contraction could do anything but I better go to the hospital. He would be over later. Oh, please - I had guests coming to dinner. But we went. While Rex was checking me in, the nurse examined me and called the doctor. The only words I recognized was 10 centimeters. The doctor got to me before Rex got up from admitting. Like I said, three back twinges and a baby.

Finally had the nurse wheel me into a room with a telephone so I could stop the guests from coming in three hours. It was a Friday so they fed me a salmon croquet for dinner and I didn't eat salmon again for years. Still don't like it very much. Rex's mother came from Texas on a moment's notice (you could do that in those days) and smuggled warm prune/apricot stewed fruit into the hospital for me. Pastor and his wife drove through the snow from 30 miles away to bring me a plant and say Congratulations.

Lots of good memories for a life time -- and a second wonderful delightful daughter. ~ with blessings

No comments: