Thursday, October 21, 2010

Too PC Even for me

I was raised by a lawyer father who Loved the Constitution of the United States. I remember being "taught" that we had freedom of speech and that was a wonderful thing. It meant you could say anything you thought without political consequence. However, there often were consequences and that was ok because you took responsibility for what you said ergo for the consequences as well. So - Daddy, what do we say about the fact that Juan Williams, a respected, well-liked, intelligent, thoughtful news commentator expressed an opinion and was Fired by another news organization?

All he did was express an opinion. And according to the article I read, NPR called him. He wasn't even given the courtesy of a face to face with the people who had employed him for ten years or more.

Wait - I listen to and read NPR to have a good, strong progressive view of what is happening in the world. I expect to hear several sides of stories we don't hear on other news channels. I expect in depth reporting and analysis. What just happened?

Have we become so PC that a respected commentator like Mr. Williams cannot express an honest opinion or even feelings? If I keep writing, I am going to blather and go around in circles. I am not completely sure how I feel about this except that it bothers me, hurts me and makes me sad for my country. I have a feeling you will hear more about this in the future. We are Not pleased. ~ with blessings

No comments: