Sunday, September 26, 2010

Missing the Moon

There has been a Gorgeous moon this week -- a low hanging, huge Harvest moon.

Last night about 2 I was up and looked out to the deck. Everything was clear and lovely and moon washed. And I stayed inside. Why?

When Cowboy (a 4-year-old yellow lab) came to live with us, he needed to go out in the middle of the night and I started going out with him. First I put him on a leash. Then I just went out with him and waited. Then I stood at the door. And finally I would just go back to bed and he would wake me again when he came back. As this was an almost every night occurrence I am sure I started staying indoors just because it was easier. And -- standing there last night, I remembered the mystery and bliss of sitting outside in the moonlight or on a moonless night, covered with a blanket of stars. Magnificent.

And so last night as I crawled back into bed, I wondered why I didn't slip on shoes and a robe and step out on the deck for a few moments and bask in the moonlight. Such glory needs no reason, no dog to share it with. The doing of it is enough ~ with blessings

1 comment:

MikeC said...

Several days late, after getting back home - *Like*