Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hey, sometimes meds Work!

Yesterday the pain in the leg was Just Too Much. Appointments with surgeons to view and discuss the x-rays were weeks, even months away. Something had to be done.

So I called my doctor and asked for a cortisone shot. My doc wasn't in and wouldn't be until mid week so saw another dr in the practice. When I told her why I was there, she said she didn't give cortisone shots to the hip. My whole being Sank. Why was I there then??? *Deep Sigh*

She went through all the same things with me - asked all the same questions - did all the same checks - all without the x-ray because no one could find them (my first dr having sent them to radiology). *Deep Sigh*

She asked about the level of pain on a scale of one to ten. I had said a 7 but had no idea really because I had never had a lot of pain in my life. Had I given birth? Yes. Labor is a 10. I laughed out loud. Not my labor ~ three back twinges and a baby. Hardly time for the doctor to arrive or husband to get up from admitting. Glad to have made it to the hospital. The leg's a 7!

Then she said, "OK - we have to get you feeling better." Yes. Please. Thank you.

One shot of a Huge, Powerful anti-inflammatory drug that went to work in Minutes. Yay!!
Two Advil every six to eight hours for a "while" - we will work out what that means.
Vicodin "as needed". So far No Vicodin -- even though it scares me a little, I am willing to take it "as needed" under the watchful, careful care of my own good sense plus Dean and the doctor watching out for me. I have seen folks addicted - and last week Grandson took it Exactly as ordered for pain after dental surgery and was fine - is fine - and had a great time telling me how to take it exactly as ordered. :)

This morning the world looks a Whole Lot brighter. There will be more to talk and write about than my pain. (Phew - as there is nothing worse than someone who can talk Only of their pain - and yet I understand why now. It can be all consuming.) I can wait more patiently for the appointments with the surgeons. And I can face my day without dreading every step - and yes, I did dread walking. Now I don't.

With blessings and gratitude for good doctors, good meds, and a brighter day - plus, summer has returned after two days of late fall weather in August - :D :D :D


No comments: