Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Way We Were

I’m getting old. I find myself thinking of the way we did some things when I was young as still being the best way to do them. When I was in elementary and high school, summer lasted three full months: June, July and August. School was out around Memorial Day and started again the day after Labor Day. Those two holidays framed summer for generations of us even if we didn’t work on the family farms.


That time table is so ingrained that it is hard to think of it being any other way. All but two of the grandchildren are back in school as of this week. Oregon schools start the day after Labor Day so those have two more weeks of summer. As do we. Between now and Labor Day, we have a company barbecue, attendance at our Shakespeare festival on the lake, and a visit from a college age granddaughter and beau. These are all “summer” events. I still like it the way it was - and for me, still is. 

No comments: