Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Road Less Traveled


Several weeks ago Dean showed me a video of a trip through a canyon that he wanted to drive. The walls were very close to the road and, being mildly claustrophobic, I began to get a little worried about it. We were going to make a lovely day of it, starting with a ghost town, breakfast in Beatty and then the canyon drive. One afternoon we drove through some brush that almost closed in over our heads. I could feel the headache start up my neck. So much for the canyon. 

We rose early and headed for the ghost town. It was a wonderful morning and so glad he had found the information to do that. We went into Beatty, filled the truck with gas and found Mel’s diner. Then we headed back to camp. And I knew decision time was just down the road. Dean was encouraging but in no way pushing. He assured me it really didn’t matter - he would like to and if we didn’t it was OK. Knowing I had the energy tools to deal with this ~ and the physical ability to get out of the truck and walk if I needed to, I said let’s do it. As we turned off the road into flat desert, I figured we would drive through that, then through the canyon, then out into the flat again. 

We drove through the flat for a while but then we started up into the mountains.




The one lane, one direction road became twisty and made amazing hairpin turns. I was taking pictures like mad as Dean concentrated on driving.  Once we stopped for a picture of the deep valley and steep road behind us. We came to Leadfield whose story is another blog. We did stop though and walk around, stretch our legs, take pictures, and breathe.



We started down into the canyon. We even passed a little sign that told us we were entering Titus Canyon. I had done my energy work and was grounded, surrounded and safe ~ actually I had made sure we were grounded on those hairpin curves higher up the mountain. At first there was no issue at all. Yes, the hills, cliffs, rocks were high on either side but on at least one side, there would be enough open space that I was fine. I continued to take pictures. 



Then we came to the part that had been in the video. The first thing we saw in one bit wider spot was 5 bikers, helmets off, relaxing, eating their lunch. We all waved and that helped.




As we came around one corner, I took a picture and said to myself, “This one’s for you, Meredith!” in honor of my daughter who has talked me through the Boston airport tunnel several times. 



I kept taking pictures as the walls of rock literally closed in ~ and just about the time I thought, “OK, I need to be out of here”, two things happened: we passed a family of 5 who were hiking in. They stopped to let us pass and we all smiled and waved and ~ there was the plain.



I breathed and we left the canyon and were back on a desert floor. 



I almost cried ~ making me realize how tightly I had held my fear of that drive. My adrenalin rushed away and I almost fell asleep on the way back to camp. The early afternoon was spent in the torpor of the heat. Then we went swimming and the old Aquarian let the water sweep away any issues and allow for memories of an amazing canyon and a delightful day. 




No comments: