Friday, November 30, 2012

It Comes Out of Left Field


Jim Boatman, George Cunyus, Charlie Young, Philip Miller, Ralph Shank, Jim Thurmond, Al Pedersen, on the day of Philip's ordination at Central Christian Church in Dallas.  (I'm guessing 1973)
   
When my first husband died a friend told my daughter that her grief would come to her out of left field. It would get less over the years, last a shorter time, and it would take her by surprise at times. 

I am a FB friend with the pastor in the center of this picture. This is his ordination photo, in about 1973. He posted it on FB tonight and there they are, men who mattered in my life as I grew up. 

Jim Boatman, lower left, probably my dad's best friend, surrogate father to me, dear friend. Al Peterson, lower right, father to a good high school friend. And center back, my dad, looking just like I know him. These three men at least had no idea of the internet, FB or any other modern technology. And yet, here they are. And I am crying. Because even after all these years, it came at me out of left field, surprised me and made me remember with tears of both sadness and joy the really good times these days represent. 

No comments: