Monday, November 26, 2012

Friendships


A blog I read made me think of the shifting tide of friendships. L is the first person who comes to mind of course. That friendship has lasted a life time and it doesn’t matter how often or how seldom we connect. We are always there for the other. We call or email and start in the moment just like we were on the phone an hour ago. I call and say I need you and she comes. She calls and says I need you and I go. She is there. I am here. We are ~ and that is all that matters. 

For three years way back when, J was my best friend in the town where we lived. She knew more about me than anyone else including my husband or family. And I knew the same about her. We clicked within days of meeting each other and for three years and a number after we moved, we knew each other. Today, I am not even sure if she lives in the same place. I have been to the town and not found out. Regrets? I don’t know. I know I would love to see her again, visit, catch up and I guess there is something in me that trusts what we had ergo, I could have it again . . . maybe. 

D was my first real love. And then I married someone else - my second real love - and D and I didn’t hear a word from each other for 14 years. Then we reconnected. And have been very special friends ever since. He has known, respected and been a friend to both my husbands. I am a friend to his wife whom I think is a delightful woman. I have been in their home several times. They have supported me and my family through hard times and fun ones. We email occasionally. Once in a great while, he comments on my blog. And in spite of the interesting shift and spaces in between, I know that I can call and he (or they) will be there for me. 

Special friends. Interesting shifts. Gratitude for what they were, are and will be. ~ with blessings

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a friend named Nahe. We have the same relationship. It doesn't matter how long we are apart, we start right back up where we left off.

Great blog!

Tahoe Mom said...

Thanks, Sharon! That kind of friendship is So special. Glad you have one too.

MikeC said...

We're all on the same wavelength! See my comment on you-know-who's blog.

Tahoe Mom said...

Well, she of course is "the blog I read" - and I did see your comment. I've been thinking about other folks so I think I may write at least one follow-up blog.