Thursday, November 1, 2012

All Saints Day


There was once a little boy who attended a church that had magnificent stained glass windows depicting the lives of Jesus, the Disciples and other prominent scriptural figures. One day in Sunday School they were asked if they knew who the saints were. His response: they are the ones who let the light in. 

I love that story. Today is All Saints Day and I have enjoyed all day reflecting on some of the saints who have let the light into my life. 

My Daddy: I was raised by a giant
Jim: whose dilemma as a black man in the south in the late 40s raised my awareness even though I had to file away what I had learned
Larry: whose life and being taught me we were all God’s children
E.C.: who took a teenager’s crisis of faith seriously and blessed me with his answer
Mary Louise: my mother in the faith
Martin Luther King, Jr
Rosa Parks
Aunt Lalah: who taught me the gift of hospitality
“Miss Ilene”: in whose love and faith the children of our church were raised
Mother Teresa
Pastors I have known and loved: Wally, Topper, David
Husbands and daughters: who, in the midst of living together, have found moments of blessing and grace, love and joy that have opened my eyes and let the light into my life. 

Thank you all ~ and so many more ~ for your presence throughout my days and being. 

1 comment:

MikeC said...

Wonderful! So many of the saints are our peers, friends, teachers, and even family.