Saturday, February 19, 2011

There Was The Moon

Last Tuesday night about 8 o'clock, the clouds pulled a curtain across the clear sky and began to pour snow upon our land. And it snowed . . . and it snowed . . . and it snowed.

And then about 3:15 this morning I woke to an interesting sensation: There was light. My little square of sky showed me a wafting black cloud moving out of picture. I went to the window and there, still hanging high in the western sky was the full moon. The clouds moved away from it like the curtains opening to reveal the Diva bathed in a spot light.

I crossed to the back doors to witness that age old phenomenon:
The moon, on the breast of the new fallen snow,
Gave a luster of midday to objects below.
(The Night Before Christmas)
For a brief moment I witnessed the luster of midday. The yard sparkled like it was scattered with diamonds. It was glorious. Returning to bed, I realized Dean was awake so I whispered into the dark, "The snow has stopped. The moon is out."

By then the Diva had taken her bow, assured us of her continuing performance, and the cloud curtains closed in front of her and within the hour snow was falling again. We woke to a light grey morning and a little more snow. The clouds are moving though and bits of blue peek through. The storm abates. The Sun is due for a return performance tomorrow.

No comments: