Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Advantages of a Food Plan


I want to take off a few pounds ~ get back in some jeans ~ stay fit for my walks and hikes. So I am on a 6 weeks food plan: 5 meals a day, 1/2 cup of carbs, 2 oz protein, lots of veggies. Simple, easy and if I really want or need to, I take a meal off or even a day off occasionally. 

Here's the part I find interesting. Because the meals are small and the tastes rather simple, I am Really enjoying them more - savoring them as it were. If I have a little sugar on my morning cereal, that sweetness is Wonderful because that is the only sugar I have all day. If my morning snack is turkey and half a banana, I Taste them: the saltiness of the meat, the sweetness of the banana. I can make that snack last a long time. When I stir fry some veggies to put on a tortilla with salsa - Wow! So Tasty. And no cheese? How can I do that without cheese? Easily - and suddenly I am Tasting the veggies, the salsa and even the tortilla because nothing is overwhelmed by cheese, one of my favorite foods. 

I've been doing this long enough now that I think I also understand this way of eating is helpful in learning to set portions, eat more slowly, and take time to enjoy whatever food I am eating. Even desserts. :) So even when the six weeks are over, I hope I will continuing eating in this delicious, savoring way ~ blessings

No comments: