Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In Honor of a Dear Friend


A dear friend died last night. Her son had emailed me that she had been put in hospice and he was on his way to Dallas. He was with her. I “knew” when I received word this morning because I had been edgy and teary after receiving his email. Then sometime in the middle of the night, it was ok, I was at peace and I knew it was because she was too. 
I am So grateful that L and I saw her in September ~ dressed in her pink polyester pants suit with pearls around her neck. :) Meredith wrote to say she was thinking about me and that she knew it was a “poignant” time for me. What a perfect word. That is exactly what it is. My friend's death was expected. She was comfortable, at peace and her son was with her. Blessings. And ~ now there are 3 cousins who remember when I was born. 
I think that is the poignancy more than anything. Her death brings me closer to my own mortality because there are few left who knew me as a very young child. Nice to be married now to a man whom I met in the first grade ~ and to still be in touch with many of our classmates from those years. Yes, Meredith found just the right word. It is a time gentle, poignant transition for all of us connected with and related to this wonderful woman. 

1 comment:

MikeC said...

Understand. As of this past January, my dad was the last of the 4 siblings (two brothers, two sisters). He keeps pressing on, which I admire and respect. Life is precious and fragile.

Peace and love,

Mike