Thursday, March 3, 2011

What Can I Say?

Headline: Top Court Sides with Churchgoers Who Picket Military Funeral

No!! Absolutely not!! The Supreme Court sided with Free Speech, with the First Amendment ~ not with those people (I will NOT dignify them by calling them churchgoers) who chose such a vile and malicious way to express their opinions.

I remember to this day one particular conversation between my father and me about what free speech really means and how Very important it is to our way of life in the United States. He said that means that old phrase, I may hate what you say and I will defend to the death your right to say it.

My father was a decent, wonderful, Christian man who would never in his life have imagined that his defense would have to be for the vicious, cruel, hurtful words paraded by the Phelps family. And he also believed deeply in the Constitution. So do I. So do the Justices of the Supreme Court. Sometimes I wish it did not have to be so hard to uphold.

We can uphold it though by speaking words of love and compassion, truth and justice directly into the face of slander, libel and discrimination. That is the best defense of all. ~ with blessings and butterflies for your day

No comments: