Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Moon and No Stars

Wonderful, wacky weather. Last night at 9 as I crawled into bed and quit paying attention to what it was happening outside, it was snowing. At 12:30, I woke to moonlight pouring in the room. I got up and wandered around, looking out the front windows at an amazing Huge moon hanging high in the sky. Even at that hour and in that sleepy state, I realized there were no stars. The moon is so close to earth that it has wiped away the light of all the stars. There was just the moon in a pale grey-blue sky. No clouds obscured anything and the world was awash in light. At 3:30 I woke again, this time to a different sort of light. It was as if our window panes had been painted amber. The street lights shining through really heavy snow cause this phenomenon. You really cannot see beyond the window pane. It was snowing again. And has been ever since as far as I can tell. A Lot has fallen in the last six hours and although now it is more like a snowy mist, it is still piling up. There are places where March is spring. Not here, not yet, not in Tahoe.

No comments: