Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday and Lent

Late in the year for Lent to begin. Early in the year for changing the clocks. Anyway ~

Growing up in a pretty plain vanilla Protestant family, Lent was not a big deal, much less the denial part of it. And my friends who did give up something, usually gave up chocolate and griped about it the whole time. It took becoming an adult and gaining a greater and deeper understanding of church history and theology to began to appreciate the Lenten traditions.

Thanks to a college chaplain friend, Anne, for a new perspective on the traditional Lenten fast. She suggested we try to fast from things like Judgement and Anger. Ahhh - 40 days without passing judgement or lashing out or even gnashing our teeth at someone. A personal spiritual discipline that just may continue once Lent is over and . . . helpful to others as well. If we live in personal peace, those around us will feel the love coming from us - or at least Not feel the anger and judgement and therefore be more at peace themselves.

When I decide to go without judgement, judgement jumps up and tries to claim its place in my life. So sometimes I don't always succeed. However, awareness that helps me step back, keep thoughts to myself and move on, allows me to raise my level of peaceful energy around me. Whatever you choose to give up - or take on - during Lent, may it be of value to you and to your world. ~ with blessings and butterflies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. Giving up judgement and anger for Lent is a lot more meaningful to me than giving up chocolate. So the work begins...