Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Philadelphia Museum of Art

Here I am at our second museum, The Philadelphia Museum of Art.
See those steps, all those steps. Thanks to David's strong arm, I walked up them all very easily. I tucked my arm in his and up we went. Of course I was doing it with oxygen. No, I didn't have an oxygen bottle with me. I am at sea level and not at altitude where oxygen is in shorter supply. Anyway, here we are and here we go. 

David allowed me to choose where to wander and I chose medieval art from 1100 to 1500. I was not tempted to take a lot of pictures of pictures here. Just imagine lots of Virgin Mary holding and adoring Baby Jesus and lots of variations on the nativity theme.

This particular picture had chairs in front of it for sitting and David took a picture of my doing that. Why this picture, I had wondered. The little sign told me that to contemplate this picture allowed the perspective to change and the picture to become more real. Sure enough the Christ figure seemed to move out from the canvas and Mary sunk further into John's arms. Very interesting. 

One of the replicated rooms with furniture, fire place and even walls from another era.
On the wall of one there was a little door about head high. I needed to know what it was. The Docent told me that the wall was from a monastery and it was where priests kept small items like rosaries, stoles and other ceremonial items. 

Horse armor. Most of the armor displayed was from Germany and they 
protected their horses well. One full suit of horse armor displayed on a horse statue with a large suit of human armor on top makes one wonder how the pair ever moved onto the field of battle.

From the sublime to the ridiculous: remember Rocky? He finished his training running up the stairs of the museum and stopped at the top with his arms above his head. This statue was originally placed at the top of the museum stairs and Philadelphia said "No - this is our art museum." So the statue was moved to ground and people stand in line to have their picture made with Rocky without having to made the run up the museum steps. 

No comments: