Saturday, October 20, 2018

Philly Phood

I ate my way through this last week so was delightfully surprised to discover that I had also walked my way through the week because I lost two pounds!
Not all the food was restaurant style. Some was deliciously homemade.

My cousin Doris, in Delaware, gave us homemade pimento cheese for an evening appetizer. Oh yum!
Pimento cheese is such a Southern dish and one that has been around our family for a long time. The original was cooked - because it had eggs in it I believe. Doris makes a much easier recipe which she graciously told me and I shall blend up here in the next several days.

Doris also baked Sam's mother's (my Aunt Lalah's) caramel cake. Aunt Lalah put the caramel icing on hot milk cake. Doris put it on a maple cake, very similar to what David had as child in Canada. We ate cake for three meals and brought some home with us. So good! So sweet! Just had to forget about being off sugar and become 8 again and enjoy. 

When we arrived back from Delaware, we were stuffed but into the evening wanted a little something, "a little smackeral" as Pooh says. David made Toad in the Hole. I had heard of it but had no idea what it was. It is egg in Yorkshire Pudding. He adds rosemary for flavoring. Perfect. 

My last night we topped the visit with David's prime rib. 
He spent three days preparing the roast and finally letting it sit in fridge
wrapped tightly with a salt crust.

And of course, with rib roast comes more Yorkshire Pudding. 
Light, airy, puffy and delicious. Perfect for absorbing the rib juices.

Meredith asked if I wanted green beans with almonds or green bean casserole with my roast.
I make really nice green beans almandine so I opted for a good old fashioned casserole which Meredith made to accompany the roast. 

My roast on Yorkshire pudding ~ 

~ with a addition of green bean casserole.

And from the sublime to the ridiculous:
during a long Independence Hall touring day, we had a street hot dog.
Although I have had street food before, this was my first hot dog. It was 
as good for what it was as any of the other amazing food we ate. 

No comments: