Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Squash Pie

Recently I have had some success in the kitchen throwing together a dish made from whatever was there and needed to be eaten. I'm a good cook if I follow the recipe. These couple of dishes had no recipe and still came together easily and well. I decided to be just egotistical enough to share my ideas with you. Today's recipe: Squash Pie.

It helps to have two lovely fresh summer squash straight from the garden. Summer squash is good though from wherever. 
Chop some onion and cook in butter and water until onion is translucent.
Add sliced squash, one ear of corn and cook a while.
Add 2 chopped tomatoes and heat until tomatoes soften.
To a Cup or more of shredded cheese add 2 or 3 beaten eggs. 
Mix it all together and put in parchment paper covered pie pan.
Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.


I got the parchment paper idea from FB. This dish works well as a side or an entree'. 


Last night it was served as a side with grilled chicken and a grilled peach with brown sugar and butter for a sweet taste. Today the leftovers will be served as a light lunch or dinner. You can also add a meat of your choice to the pie if you so desire. Very flexible and easy, and if you don't want to take time to bake, forget the eggs, stir together after adding cheese and enjoy. 

2 comments:

MikeC said...

I probably shouldn't say this, Tahoe Mom. But Dean almost always looks quite distinguished in his photos. Except in this picture, where he looks like Johnny Rock, the burned-out 1980's rock star in the FXX series Sex and Drugs and Rock 'n Roll. I ran this past Terry just to confirm, and she agrees. ;-) Apologies for straying from squash, the focus of this blog post. And please forgive me.

Tahoe Mom said...

LOL!!! I was focused more on the squash - and of course he had just come in from gardening.