Saturday, April 26, 2014

On the Birth of a Daughter

They swaddled her, put a tiny little cap on her head and laid her in my arms, and I became a mother bear. I knew in an instant that I would defend to my death her well-being. The feeling only intensified when the second daughter was born. And even though they are both now much older than I was when they arrived, the feeling still remains. 


Time passes. I was neither the best nor the worst of mothers. They were neither the best nor the worst of daughters. And now if it were to come to physical defense, they would probably be the ones defending me. But it wouldn’t be for lack of trying. They are the loves of my life and I miss them terribly when we are apart, even when I know they are living their lives in strong and powerful ways. I am very proud of both of them and still willing to do parental battle if necessary. Some things never change. 

No comments: