Sunday, January 20, 2013

On Approaching 70


We have all seen lists of wise sayings that both women and men have compiled of things they have learned over the course of a long life time. I can’t think of a thing. Oh, I suppose I could be clever and say something like, don’t touch a hot stove, don’t talk with my mouth full, don’t interrupt. The thing is: I can remember several times in the last few months that I have done all of these things at least once. I have certainly learned enough to have spent years living in a civilized society and being at home there and not being ostracized because of some weird behavior. 

I look in the mirror and see . . . me. Oh sure, I’d like to be a little thinner ~ back to those days. But on the whole it is a good body that has come along with me for these 70 years without giving me too much trouble. It is with much gratitude that I celebrate the medical advances that have given me good teeth (floride) and a new hip so I can move with ease and free from pain. It’s my body. She’s in reasonably good shape and functions well. 

My brain still functions. I do crossword and other puzzles. I read a wide range of books and news articles and watch a wide range of tv shows and movies. I have kept up with technology some -- no twitter yet, but I am on Facebook, have been using email for years, and am mostly comfortable with my computer. I read on my Kindle app as well as holding a “real” book in my hands. I can hold reasonably intelligent conversations about life and faith and other topics. Not very good with politics, but then I never have been nor do I care to start now. 

I know that through the years I have influenced people. I have taught, directed, preached and lived out a life of a woman. I have been mother, lover, wife (for the traditionalists reading this), dancer, Aquarian butterfly and pilgrim on the journey that is home. My life is whole cloth. In the Zodiac I am an Aquarius and on the Native American wheel of life, my tribe is the butterfly. When I was 5, I saw a vision of my origin and knew myself to be 5 and 45 and 85 all at once. I still feel that continuity of being who I am in the moment that I am. 

And for all of this, I have no wisdom to offer unless of course I am asked. Then maybe we can have a conversation. For pithy sayings, go to someone else. 

1 comment:

Chris Howell said...

Catching up on your blog...this was a particularly awesome post. I love you momma butterfly!