Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On Approaching 70, 3


Decade birthdays have been big deals for me. Forty ~ I had the lead in Forty Carats, where the 20 year old man falls in love with the 40 year old woman. The Sunday matinee was on my 40th birthday. We hired the theatre hall and invited everybody we knew ~ almost literally. Folks came from miles away to party. Fifty ~ we had a buffet in a hotel ball room, hired a band, and danced the night away. Sixty ~ not quite so elaborate as I had only recently moved to Tahoe and a dear friend helped Dean put together a nice dinner here at the house followed by a lovely ritual of blessing. Seventy ~ ah there’s the rub. Plans are for a family party which we will have and it depends on some work schedules so it will happen when it happens. Dean leaves town today and will not be back until late tomorrow. I am having lunch with some women friends so that will be lovely. Still I was feeling just a little down ~ until:

I have a friend whose birthday is today. She posted on FB that people should give her the gift of their random acts of kindness today. How Delightful!!! To be celebrated all over the country - even world - by random acts of kindness in your name. So - I am stealing her idea. Wherever you are, do something unexpected tomorrow (the 23rd), something delightful, something that brings a smile to another’s face. If you want to, you may tell me about it in a comment here or on Facebook. You may keep it totally anonymous. Doesn’t matter. I will “know” that you read about it here, it made you smile, and you did something kind. I’m even going to assume there are 70 of them! ~ love and butterflies, my friends, from a very happy lady who is rapidly approaching 70 ~ 

4 comments:

Deb said...

Now I like that idea! Let's see what good I can do today.Oh, wait - canI count yesterday? I reached out to my aunt, who has become increasingly hostile toward the family and continues to isolate herself from the world and stay enveloped in negativity. I hand-wrote her a letter inviting her to my dad's memorial service (her brother) after she announced she would not attend. When it seems much easier to just "write somebody off", I know that is not always the right thing to do.
Sorry to rattle on. Maybe I will still do a random act today! Thanks for the thought, and happiest of birthdays to you, Susan.

Tahoe Mom said...

Deb, of course you can count yesterday. Blessings to you and your family. I do need to ask, has your family considered the onset of Altzheimer's in your aunt? She sounds so much like my mother-in-law. Take care, dear one ~ and again, blessings.

AppsRus said...

Thanks for a great idea! Will do.

Tahoe Mom said...

Yay!! I am getting wonderful, delightful responses to this. :)