Saturday, January 12, 2013

Healthy is as Healthy Eats


Dean has decided to try gluten free. It seems to be helping his knees a lot. Good for him! It isn’t too hard for us to do because there is no allergy involved, certainly nothing life threatening. So I decided I would support him eating gluten free as well. When I was looking through the frozen gluten free breads at the grocery store, I discovered they had gluten free bagels so I bought a bag. Healthy, right? Except the other morning I decided to check the label ~ unfortunately having already bought them. Each bagel has 320 calories. I can have an entire breakfast for that many calories. I also try to watch my salt intake. One bagel ~ 520 mg of sodium in One Bagel!!! I have never looked at the labels on regular bagels because we usually buy them fresh. So I checked on line, discovered a calorie counter and nutritional list for almost any food you can name, and learned that bagels indeed are high in calories and sodium. And here I though 1/2 a bagel with a little low fat cream cheese or jam was, if not good for me, at least ok.  So much for bagels I guess ~ not so much because of calories but because of sodium. I don’t have them often anyway. Now I will have them only for special occasions and definitely stay with a half. You really have to be careful when you think you are being healthy. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped eating bagels when I saw 300 or more calories depending on the type of bagel. I always watch calories and salt. Nothing fun to eat is the number of calories I'd like it to be. :(

Tahoe Mom said...

Anonymous, fun in food seems to equal calories, I agree. I don't eat many of them any way so will just go back to the way it was before I knew the stats: only 1/2 at a time and those few and far between ~ and honestly fresh from the bagel shop.