Sunday, December 16, 2012



Once in a while I will ask a friend what she is reading. About a month ago one recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. What a delightful story! 

Written in letter form rather than straight narrative, the book tells the story of the people of Guernsey (one of the Channel Islands) during their German occupation in WWII. The historical research is impeccable and although a novel, you know you are learning true experiences. 

I was very appreciative of the maps at the start of the book. I “know” where the Channel Islands are - but not really. Seeing the maps helped me understand the Guernsey experience in greater depth. They were so close to England, where their children were, and to France where some of them were taken to German prisons, and yet they were totally cut off: no mail, no radio, no news for five years. And they survived. 

Their story is written with caring and humor. Of course there is sadness. This was not a happy time in the world. The authors found ways to incorporate very human humor into the narrative and the present day story which flows through the history is a delight. 

Well written. A really good read. And because of the letter format, it is an easy read. I have already promised to lend it to a friend and I will make certain she returns it because I already know I will read it again . . . and again. 

No comments: