Saturday, January 22, 2011

Birthday Blog

Tomorrow is the actual day -- and it started on Thursday with a Facebook Happy Birthday early post from a friend. Then a note from another friend that her youngest was born on January 23rd as well. This morning came an email from a friend who is exactly one year younger and they will be toasting me as well as her at dinner tomorrow night. Today a friend is taking me to lunch. Tomorrow night Dean and I are going out to eat with friends and we too will toast across the country to my friend who will be toasting me.

And so - my birthday is growing a bit - a birth weekend maybe. Of course by the time my father was my age, he had a birth month. He was a beloved and active man and so everyone wanted to fete him on and around his birthday. The neighborhood - and a few select neighbors. The Sunday School class - and a few select couples from the class. The law firm partners - and the secretaries - and a few select, been with him longer than most, lawyers - or lawyers at lunch at the Petroleum Club and then with their wives and my dad and step-mother for dinner at the PC or somewhere else. Add up all those folks and it takes at least a month to get them all in. He was a very gracious, unassuming man so he would smile and say thank you and enjoy all the parties.

Hmmmm - maybe it's a good thing for my weight and figure that my birthday has only increased to a weekend. :D

No comments: