Thursday, June 3, 2010

Traveling in place

I love it when I am supposed to be traveling or away from home and I am instead kept at home. Home when I am supposed to be away. There is something So peaceful about that situation.

There is a business meeting we usually attend three times a year. Next week it is in eastern Canada ~ all the way across the continent. We were to drive to southern CA and fly from there. I was a little edgy about the long drive and two long plane flights and driving some more to the resort. My leg and knee have been acting up and if I sit too long at a time, I get really stiff and sore. So I was fretting a bit.

Then came the news: some things that had to do with the meeting and nothing to do with us, are preventing us from going. I admit to being very pleased that it worked out that way. My leg and knee are grateful.

More than that however is the delight of being at home when we were supposed to be away. We went to the Farmers' Market this morning. It is a cloudy, misty day and I have sat on the window seat, iced my leg, read, written and just been. It has been So peaceful. I am not fretting over anything. Except for making lunch, I haven't done anything. Laundry was done earlier in the week. There are no bags to pack, no decisions about clothes to make, no last minute running around. Come the weekend, there will be no long drive. And next week no long flights. I am having lunch with a friend on the day I would have been flying across the country. I only have to go as far as Incline Village.

What makes this time any different than any other time spent at home, I really don't know. There are still meals to prepare, laundry to do, things to get done. Life is still lived as usual ~ and yet . . . there is something about it, some quality of time that shifts and changes and makes for peace and ease. And in this moment add rain that I can hear on the roof and windows ~ what a blessing

No comments: