Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mindful Eating

Zen Master and poet Thich Nhat Hanh teaches the way of awareness and mindfulness. In his book The Miracle of Mindfulness, he describes the Way to drink a cup of tea with mindfulness:

Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the whole earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future.
Live the actual moment.
Only this actual moment is life.
Don't be attached to the future. Don't worry about things you have to do.
Don't think about getting up or taking off to do anything.
Don't think about "departing."

I was thinking about this passage this morning while preparing my tea and toast for breakfast. Obviously Not being in the moment of preparation - :). Nonetheless, I was more aware than usual. And so when I took my tea and toast to the front deck, I closed the book I had brought with me. I sat and took a deep breath. And then in that present moment, I took a bite of the fresh orange I had also prepared. Delicious. I let the juice permeate not just my mouth but my whole being. Oh, My! I Do love fresh oranges. Every bite was bliss.

The tea and toast were approached in a similar fashion. Only the moment of tea and toast. I did not "depart" but rather stayed right there.

In my energy practice, I have become aware of being aware. I read Thich Nhat Hanh years ago and was pleased to be able to pull the book off my shelf this morning. And ~ I am not always as present as my practice might help me to be. Still, I try. This moment is life and I try to live it. May you be blessed with the awareness of being aware, with the mindfulness that allows you to know life in its fulness ~

No comments: