Sunday, November 16, 2008

Real Housewives of North Lake Tahoe

Confession: I have never watched "Real Housewives" of Anywhere. I have seen blurbs and I have been told: botox, nips and tucks, jewels, designer clothes and conversation so
shallow it would make an 8th grader blush. If I disparage falsely, I apologize.

However, yesterday when I went on a hike with two friends (who have seen this show), we talked about our lives - as real housewives of North Lake Tahoe. It began with
a comparison of hiking boots and which ones are best for this time of year and what we wear to hike in the snow before there is enough snow for snowshoeing.

At one point my "designer" vest was mentioned. Well, I am so not into the ski scene that I didn't even know it was designer -- and I bought it several years ago at a ski swap for $20 or less. So - we shop at ski swaps - and outlets. Our cosmetic routine is best
if it includes sun block - year round at this altitude.

Our conversation included a very erudite discussion of whether Hillary should be Secretary of State: does she have the temperament? Would she have more power from the Senate? If not her, who? Fascinating conversation.

And our jewels? Ah, our jewels . . . absolutely Gorgeous views of the lake from the trail. Broad expanse of deep blue water shimmering until a spectacular arch of dazzling blue sky, separated by green mountains beginning to be topped with a dash of white snow glistening like diamonds in the sun.

Just to be clear: we are real too. It's just that no one will make a tv show of our lives. We shop at Costco; our husbands spend their Saturdays gathering and splitting wood for winter fires; we attend women's groups that include meditation and conversation about everything from parents with Altzheimer's to baby showers. When we party, we
party at each others' homes. We are the real housewives of North Lake Tahoe. We are such fun! :) ~ tea and blessings

No comments: