Monday, November 10, 2008

Keeping Sabbath

A friend's recent experience has me thinking again about the importance of keeping Sabbath. Having been in church all my life, when I moved to the mountains, we had no church. That was fine with me as long as I could keep Sabbath. Have some time of rest, of reflection, of meditation, of connection with the Divine. 

Then we found the perfect church for us so I kept Sabbath in the more traditional way: Sunday services, hymns, prayers, sermons, scripture and dance. 

Later the pastor retired and after 7 months of being in charge of services and making sure we had someone to fill the pulpit every Sunday and for special services, I decided to take a few weeks off. By the third Sunday, I was aware that in all my life no one had ever told me Sundays could be like this.

My Sundays became quiet, restful, gentle and centered and have remained so. I meditate. I reflect. In winter I sit in front of the fire. In summer, on the deck. Sometimes I sit. Sometimes we walk or hike. Even if I do these things on other days of the week, on Sundays they take on a different quality.

Everyone's Sabbath may be different as well. What works for me may not work for you. The point is that you find time to spend with the Divine - time to listen to your own soul and the Soul of the Universe. ~ may you find that time with blessings

No comments: