Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tradition

Years ago two of my cousins sent me a recipe for bran muffins - very simple, very easy, and the batter stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to six weeks. Well, I can't prove that because as long as I have had the recipe, no family configuration has Ever let this batter stay in the fridge for longer than three. 

The point being - my young first family Loved the muffins. Now my second family love the muffins. I have them on hand when we have company or when D & I are facilitating an overnight meeting. I have begun to add more raisins, nuts, other fruits, seeds and whole wheat flour. Unless of course Daughter #2 is going to be partaking and then I go back to the basic recipe. Otherwise I get told off -- for a Very non-traditional woman, there are some things from one's childhood tradition that Must stay the same! 

This morning however the seedy, fruity muffin batter was stirred up in short order and D will have fresh hot bran muffins every morning for a while. Maybe that's why we have such trouble changing: traditions, like bran muffins, are comfortable and tasty. ~ blessings

No comments: