Thursday, October 30, 2008

Purple Mountains Majesty

Early this morning we walked to the top of our hill to look toward the lake as the sun rose. The clouds turned fire red. Over the lake was a deep pink with a grey brushed in with a light touch. D says, "I love it when the lake turns pink and the mountains are purple." "Purple mountains majesty", I said and started to cry. 

We live in such an amazing country -- and as exciting as this presidential race has been, I am tired of it and feel like we, Americans, stretching from "sea to shining sea" and beyond are being divided by those who claim they would lead us. I am tired of being told I am not a "real" American. 

I am a Real American - who chose to vote for Obama. I am a Real American - part of the heartland even though I live on the edge of a lake in California because America is my heart land. I am a Real American - who has believed for a long time that gender should not matter and if women were going to break the glass ceiling then we had to take our lumps as well as our successes. I am a Real American - with an MA and more who raised her children to judge by character and not by color, to value education, to work hard and to love this country as the greatest in the world -- where we can speak our minds, declare our differences, cheer our successes and help each other when catastrophe strikes. 

I am a Real American - who has friends of all races, genders, economics, religions and geographical location. I am a Real American - who believes that we all have the freedom to speak our minds and so I allow others to do that -- and allowing doesn't always mean liking what I hear -- and it does mean I have the freedom to speak too. And so I do - as a Real American. That calls for a cup of tea ~ and blessings

2 comments:

MikeC said...

I downloaded a Kate Wolf album to my iPod last week. She sings "I'm up before the sunrise to watch the day begin." That works if you live in the country or in the mountains or maybe even by the ocean. It's not the same if you're in the 'burbs.

Tahoe Mom said...

Very true, Mike - I've been there. We are very blessed. And my "sea to shining sea" vision included the valleys and the 'burbs as well.